Epilepsy is a neurological disorder, a common brain condition that causes recurrent seizures and short periods of unusual behavior, sensations, and loss of consciousness at times.
SYMPTOMS OF EPILEPSY ARE:
- Uncontrollable jerking movements of the limbs (arms, legs, or body)
- Loss of consciousness
- A seizure with no fever
- Sudden stiffness & falling for no apparent reason
- Panic or anger
- Changes in senses (smell, touch, and sound)
- Psychic symptoms of confusion and unresponsiveness to instructions or questions
It is very important to seek consultation with a neurologist if any of these symptoms occur repeatedly.
RISK FACTORS OF EPILEPSY BY BEST EPILEPSY SPECIALIST IN FARIDABAD:
- Generally, the conditions may appear in early childhood and older adults
- Head injuries and tumors
- Genetics and Family history
- Dementia – Memory loss in older adults
- Stroke and other vascular diseases
- Brain infections
- Seizures in childhood
Epilepsy can affect various aspects of a person’s life, including their emotions and behavior, social development and interaction, and also the ability to study and work.
DIAGNOSIS OF EPILEPSY
The doctor will check the patient medical history, review signs, and symptoms, do neuropsychological tests, check behavior, assess thinking ability, memory and speech skills, and mental function to determine the type of epilepsy and area of the brain affected. The doctor will do the blood tests to check for infections, genetic conditions associated with seizures and to determine the type of epilepsy the person has. Several types of imaging tests can help a doctor diagnose epilepsy such as a CT scan, an MRI, a SPECT test, a PET scan, and an Electroencephalogram (EEG) test to detect brain abnormalities.
TREATMENT OF EPILEPSY
Doctors generally treat epilepsy with medication. If medications don’t treat the condition, doctors may propose surgery or therapies and a ketogenic diet. If you have just been diagnosed with epilepsy, consult Dr. Rohit Gupta, the best Epilepsy Specialist in Faridabad to know all your options for treatment.