The condition is caused by diseases that affect the brain. The most common of these is Alzheimer’s disease. There are many causes of dementia and they affect people differently. People have dementia when they have cognitive impairment and lose their ability to perform daily activities, such as taking their medication, paying bills, and driving safely.
- Mild cognitive impairment: This affects many people as they age.
- Mild dementia: People will experience cognitive impairments that sometimes impact their daily life.
- Moderate dementia: Daily life becomes more challenging.
- Severe dementia: Loss of ability to communicate, and one might need full-time care.
SYMPTOMS OF DEMENTIA
- Changes in short term memory.
- Difficulty completing everyday tasks.
- Problems in communicating.
- Changes in mood.
- Problems with abstract thinking.
- Misplacing things.
- Mood changes.
- Difficulty adapting to changes.
DIAGNOSIS OF DEMENTIA
Diagnosing dementia and its type can be challenging. The first step in testing memory performance and cognitive health involves asking standard questions and tasks. To diagnose the cause of dementia, the doctor must identify the pattern of the loss of skills and function and determine what a person is still able to do. Doctors will review your medical history and symptoms and conduct a physical examination and if the test does advocate memory loss, standard examinations are recommended such as routine blood tests and a CT brain scan. These tests measure thinking skills, such as memory, reasoning and judgment, orientation, language skills, and attention.
If you or a loved one has memory problems or other dementia symptoms, then consult with Dr. Rohit Gupta – the best Neurologist in Faridabad. He will provide an assessment of your situation, diagnose your condition, and give you best support services.